Blueberry Chia Oatmeal, and a Moment of Brilliance

I'm assuming you've heard Chia seeds, it's nearly impossible not to. My first experience with Chia was as a pet. As long as I can remember as soon as the holidays roll around the commercials start (Ch, Ch, Ch, Chia is echoing in my head right now). The drug stores and mega marts stock their shelves with the latest offering of magically growing friends. I can't help but to think of the awkward looking sheep like Chia Pet I got one year. Smearing the tiny slimy seeds then waiting for it to sprout and grow and turn into a bright green coat for that little naked sheep. Now we eat them?

Who knew all those years we should have been eating instead of sculpting them in to pop culture topiary! High in Omega-3, flavorless and high on the food trend radar, these little buggers are everywhere. I've taken to sprinkling them in my morning oatmeal. The flavor is largely unchanged, the little slimy balls are nearly unnoticeable and an easy addition to my routine; however I often found as many on my counter as in my bowl. Spooning them before I had my coffee was less than perfect until I had a moment of brilliance: empty spice shaker! Okay maybe not Earth shattering, but incredibly easy to solve my run away Chia problem.

Blueberry Chia Oatmeal

1 oz Fresh Blueberries
1 Tbs Raw Honey
1 Tbs Chia Seeds
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup water (can also use soy/almond/dairy milk for added protein)


  1. Dump everything a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Alternately you can poor boiling water over the other ingredients and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Allow 2-3 minutes for everything to cool, stir well and enjoy! 
Healthy Highlights: Calories:304, Dietary Fiber: 35.6 g Potassium 67 mg Calcium 64.2 mg, good source of antioxidants, Vegetarian Omega-3, very low fat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Witch Hazel Pore Minimizing Toner

Skip the Salon: DIY Summer Ready Feet